Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara-355 pages

I have seen the movie "Gettysburg" several times and have known for a while that this is the novel the movie is based on. I really enjoyed reading the novel and was surprised at how closely the movie followed it, with a few minor exceptions (one being that Chamberlain reports to General Sykes in the book and merely passes by General Hancock, whereas in the movie he reports to Hancock and there is no mention of Sykes). I am somewhat of an expert/student of American history, especially from the Civil War era, so this type of historical fiction really appeals to me. I have read Jeff Shaara's four novels on major Western Theater Civil War battles and want to read "Gods and Generals" and "The Last Full Measure." Also, I intend to read Ralph Peters' Civil War novels. Overall, this is one of (if not the) the best Civil War novels I have read so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment